Loney & Schueller, LLC
Free consultations
515-505-3013 888-857-9266
Iowa Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Attorneys

Out of State Personal Injury Claims

Travel out of state whether for business or pleasure is increasingly common. Are you prepared if you are in a car accident or you slip and fall? What are your options when you are injured out of state?

The best way to obtain the compensation you deserve is to pursue a personal injury claim in Iowa. 

It may be natural to ask why you can't pursue an injury claim in the state you live in? The issue is with jurisdiction. Jurisdiction deals with a court's authority to hear a case. Because states are responsible for things that take place in their state, the state courts have authority over what happened in that state.

When you are suing someone for injuring you, the court must also have authority over that person. The court gains authority over that person if they have certain contacts with the state. A court will always have personal jurisdiction over a person where they live.

The person you are suing has certain rights. The person has a right to be sued in a state where he or she might expect to be sued. If the person did not cause the injury to you in your home state and does not live in your home state, you will not likely be able to sue them there.

If you've been injured at work, you need to make sure you know and understand your rights. We know that navigating the law can be intimidating and confusing...but we are here to help. No question is too simple or silly to ask....we've heard them all...and we answer each of them truthfully and with total consideration.

Call Eric, Randy, and Sarah at 515-225-4485 or visit us at Loneylaw.com.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information